Friday, October 24, 2014

Nothin' but Cupcakes

     This past week I went out with my in-law family in celebration of my brother-in-law's b-day and I was in charge of bringing cupcakes.  Challenge accepted.  Let me tell you one thing about how I make cupcakes, I don't just make cupcakes - I make fabulous cupcakes!  Fabulous, extravagant, over-the-top cupcakes with so much thought and detail put into them that I sometimes amaze myself... either that or I end up pulling out my own hair because I've planned to do too much added elaboration to what was once a box of simple cake mix.  No matter which way it goes, everyone is usually happy with the outcome of the resulting end product, which makes me really happy too.  
    I asked my mama-in-law what flavor I ought to bake and the answer I got was chocolate.  I thought to myself, "Oooh, I love chocolate!  I can most definitely do that!"  To which the creative and insane part of my mind replied, "Just chocolate?  No, no, no, no, no, no, no, this simply will not do.  Let's make deliciously crazy chocolate cupcakes!"  The creative and insane part of my mind proceeded to take the original chocolate idea and run off with it like a overly hyper, caffeinated kindergartner on a sugar high.

Okay, what kind of chocolate cupcakes shall I make then, Miss Cray?  Chocolate Cherry?
Nah, that's been done.  To simple.  And too Valentines-y.
Hmm, okay.  Junior Mint?  That's always a good one!
Already made those.  Twice, in fact.  Lets do something different, shall we?  Keep going!
Umm, Chocolate Peanut Butter?
Too predictable.  Too common.
*sigh*  Okay, what about Chocolate Malt Balls?
Hmm, getting better.  What else you got?
Oooh!  What about S'mores?
I'm loving it!  ...But let me level up on that with Chocolate S'mores.  I know they make chocolate marshmallows!
I love it!  It's perfect!
Of course, it was my idea.
*facepalm*

    And so Chocolate S'more Cupcakes came into being thanks to my weird thought process.  (She says "you're welcome," by-the-way.)  I took basic chocolate cake mix and added crumbled up pieces of graham crackers into the batter.  After they were baked, I filled them with a mixture of vanilla pudding, a package of hot cocoa mix, and marshmallow goop.  I then iced them with basic chocolate fudge icing and topped it with a mini s'more that was made with chocolate & vanilla swirl marshmallows.  Yuuuum!
    Everyone at the party loved them.  I encouraged them to take extras, which I had a couple of takers on my offer.  I still ended up with enough to where I could take them to work and share them with my coworkers, which I did.  Everyone at work loved them too.  A couple of them even took pictures!  That was a first for me!  I still ended up with quite a few leftover cupcakes.  That's okay though, I brought them to my parents house and they split one between them and I had a whole one.  Also, I'm going over to a friend's house to watch horror movies and eat junk food.  (An early Halloween celebration since I'm going to miss the official day this year to make it to a wedding on the following day.)  I'll take her and her family some.  That will leave me about 3 or 4 left, which I can more easily handle rather than 12.
    This was fun though!  It had been since last Easter since I made cupcakes.  But the chances and opportunities to make them is much fewer these days.  And they make so many that the only way it would work out is if I made them for a family event and followed it up with taking the leftover ones to work, or vice versa.  I absolutely refuse to let any cupcake go bad!  That would be wrong on so many levels.  *shudders*  But when I do get the chance and the time, I absolutely love making cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment