Thursday, October 23, 2014

Puppy Love

    I want a dog.  Like, I REALLY want a dog.  I've always wanted a dog since I was a little itty bitty.  But I never got one because my dad was allergic to them.  He had a dog once while growing up, an English Bulldog named Dutchess, but no one put two and two together until the dog died and suddenly my dad was able to experience what breathing was like.  Okay, so maybe it wasn't to that extreme, but it was enough of a change to notice the connection.  I've had a similar experience when I found out I was allergic to cats.  (All praise and glory to God for the wonderful blessing of allergy medications!  No, seriously, thank you!)


The Breath of Life in pill form.
    But even with the existence of wonderful modern-day allergy medications, the topic of getting a dog in my family still received the reply of a big fat NO.  "No dogs in this house!  Not now, not ever!"  Boogers.  *sad face*  But I didn't go without a pet though.  During the time I've lived with my parents, I've been blessed with having kept two wonderful parakeets that I loved very much.
    Now that I'm married and out of the house, I finally have a chance to get one!  ...Even though my husband doesn't really want one either.  *facepalm*  (But he's not allergic, I don't understand!!!)  Guess what though?  Right now, he's off in the Great Sandbox (as he calls it) nine hours into the future and I'm here by myself 90% of the time at an apartment complex where the cops have had to come out about SEVEN TIMES within the past year.  Although most of those have been for domestic disturbances, I still don't like it.  I'm not comfortable with it all.  Not only do I want a dog just because I've always wanted one.  I now want one so I won't feel so alone and isolated, and I also want a dog so I can have some sense of  protection and security.  Everyone has been telling me to get a dog.  And I would've had one by now, but there's one snag.  I visit my parents on the weekend, and I can't take the dog with me.  One of my friends has been trying to convince her mom to let her dog sit for me on the weekends.  But considering they recently lost their cat, and they have a new bird they're trying to break in, and that both of her parents didn't want another dog after their last dog passed away, I'm not going to get my hopes up.  If I found a place for my dog to stay for the weekend, I'd have it made!  So close, yet so far!

My thoughts exactly.

    Despite these difficulties, I've still been looking around.  I've visited one animal shelter and checked out petfinder.com.  I've found some on petfinder that I thought would be a good match for me!   Here's a list of the ones I like best:

Schatzi, an adorable German Shepard:
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30624405/

Missy, a Lab Mix:
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30511535/

Newton, another Lab Mix that loves kids and other dogs:

Tiger Lily, those ears!  I love those ears!  XD

    This is just a small list of the ones I liked.  So far, I think Schatzi is my favorite, even if she's a pure bred.  There were some really nice Anatolian Shepherd and Anatolian Shepherd Mixes, but they were at a rescue place that expects you to have a fence and I live in an apartment, so that's clearly not going to work out.  Who knows, I may end up never getting a dog.  I sure hope that doesn't end up being the case!

Can I keep her?  Pleeeease!  :3



No comments:

Post a Comment